Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Moving to Alaska in the winter...are you crazy?

So many people couldn't believe we decided to move to Alaska in the winter with no jobs and no place to live. I couldn't really understand what the big deal was, I love Alaska, winter, fall, spring or summer!

Now I am here and I am still very happy that we decided to make this move in the winter regardless... however I will admit it takes effort to keep yourself from getting cabin fever. I have mentioned in previous posts, my bout of Alaskanitis. If I were to surrender to the Alaskanitits I would have no problem accepting my sentence to life indoors 8 months out of the year. But that is not me, so instead I find myself filling my time between feedings, naps, and playing with searching for baby friendly indoor activities both at home and away! So far I have begun to accumulate the following ideas:

1) At home: running the stairs with baby safely attached in baby carrier.
2) At home: baby amused with watching daddy plow the drive while mommy snaps pictures.
3) At home: blogging and catching up with the lower 48 via Facebook while baby sleeps.
4) Away: Story time with baby at the Wasilla Public Library every Friday morning:FREE
5) Away: Turf for Tots at Menard Memorial Sports Center: $5.00
6) Away: Play date twice a month with moms we met through story time at the library.
7) At home: LOTS and LOTS of time spent on the floor with baby.
8) Away: potluck dinners at friend's houses we are meeting through story time.
9) Away: $8.00 yoga on Wednesday nights at Blue Mountain Yoga Studio while baby and daddy have bonding time.
10) At home: holding hands with baby while practicing our walking skills.
11)At home: Enjoying peaceful moments and spoonfuls of cookie dough during baby's nap time.

For anyone out there who lives in Alaska and knows of other indoor baby friendly activites to do in the winter please share! I am new at this and my list is somewhat small and really not that orginal...so please help a fellow-mama out:)

No comments:

Post a Comment